Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Lenten Prayers

Morning Service

San Francisco Theological Seminary

Tuesday, February 27th, 2007

Montgomery Chapel

 
(Please be sure to pick up one of the prayer cards provided in the narthex)
 
Welcome
 
*Call to Worship 
               I will extol the LORD at all times;
                               Praise will always be on my lips.
               Our souls will boast in the LORD;
                               Let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
               Glorify the LORD with me;
                               Let us exalt the LORD’s name together.
 
*Hymn VU 573                                   Eternal Spirit of the Living Christ
 
Scripture Reading                             John 2:13-22

Time of Prayer

(During this period of worship you are invited to write prayers on the cards provided. You may wish to use the prayers spoken aloud in the intervals as a guide for your written prayers.)

God be in my head, and in my understanding;

God be in my eyes, and in my looking;

God be in my mouth, and in my speaking;

God be in my heart and in my thinking;

God be at my end, and at my departing. Amen

Hymn VU117 (vs. 1) Jesus Christ is Waiting

Jesus,

Light of the minds that know you,

Life of the souls that love you,

Strength of the thoughts that seek you:

Help us to know you

That we may truly love you,

So to love you,

That we may fully serve you,

Whose service is perfect freedom. Amen

Hymn (vs. 2) Jesus Christ is Waiting

Gracious God,

We pray for your holy catholic church.

Fill it with all truth in all peace.

Where it is corrupt, purify it;

Where it is in error, direct it;

Where in any thing it is amiss, reform it.

Where it is right, strengthen it;

Where it is in want, provide for it;

Where it is divided, reunite it;

For the sake of Jesus Christ your Son our savior. Amen

Hymn (vs. 3) Jesus Christ is Waiting

Lord, open unto me

Open unto me – light for my darkness,

Open unto me – courage for my fear,

Open unto me – hope for my despair,

Open unto me – peace for my turmoil,

Open unto me – joy for my sorrow,

Open unto me – strength for my weakness,

Open unto me – wisdom for my confusion,

Open unto me – forgiveness for my sins,

Open unto me – love for my hates,

Open unto me – thy Self for my self.

Lord, Lord, open unto me! Amen

Hymn (vs. 4) Jesus Christ is Waiting

Thanks be to you, Lord Jesus Christ,

For all the benefits which you have won for us,

For all the pains and insults which you have borne for us.

O most merciful Redeemer, Friend and Brother,

May we know you more clearly,

Love you more dearly,

And follow you more nearly,

Day by day. Amen

Hymn (vs. 5) Jesus Christ is Waiting

(At this time we invite you to bring your prayer card to the front and hang it on the cross)

God of love,

As in Jesus Christ you gave yourself to us,

So may we give ourselves to you,

Living according to your holy will.

Keep our feet firmly in the way

Where Christ leads us;

Help our lips speak the truth

That Christ teaches us;

Fill our bodies with the life

That is Christ within us.

In his holy name we pray. Amen

               

The Lord’s Prayer

Please pray in the language and style most familiar to you.

*Hymn VU 664 What A Friend We Have In Jesus

*Benediction

Now may the peace of God,

Which passes all understanding,

Keep guard over our hearts and minds

In the knowledge and love of God,

And of God’s Son, Jesus Christ our Lord;

And may the blessing of God almighty,

The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit,

Remain with us always. Amen

Participants in Worship:

Ms. Suzie Herman, Liturgist

Rev. Dr. Charles Marks, Chaplain

Mr. Nick Larson, Reader

Ms. Deborah Arca-Mooney, Reader

Mr. John Scott, Reader

Ms. Laura Weber, Reader

Ms. Heidi Skidmore, Musician

Dr. Daniel Hoggatt, Musician

Mr. Aric Clark, Chaplain’s Assistant

Resources:

Call to Worship adapted from Psalm 34.

The Prayers used in the Time of Prayer come from the Book of Common Worship, with the

exception of the final prayer which was taken from Voices United.

The Benediction was taken from the Book of Common Worship.

0 Comments:

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks