Friday, March 16, 2007

Heidi Tells Us About Neediness

Morning Worship

San Francisco Theological Seminary

Friday, March 16, 2007

Montgomery Chapel

Welcome Chaplain Charles Marks

*Call to Worship

Leader: O God, our God,

Women: We long to worship you!

Men: We gather before you in this sacred space!

Leader: O God, our Alpha and our Omega,

Men: We ache for your refuge!

Women: We open our thirsty souls to you!

ALL: We are ready! Let us worship God!

*Hymn VU # 374 Come and Find the Quiet Centre

Call to Confession

In this holy place, we seek forgiveness so that we can once again be gathered in the wide embrace of God’s love and mercy. Let us confess our sins now.

Prayer of Confession

O God of shalom, you are sovereign over all our days. You are our strength when we are weak and our refuge when we are broken.

We confess that we build up walls to protect ourselves from the pain that can come with daily living, that those walls also shut us off from receiving your love and the love of others.

We confess that the busyness of our days covers up our deep need for you, that we are hungry and thirsty for your grace.

Forgive us, God of grace, when we neglect to acknowledge and rely upon your steadfast love.

Forgive us when we do not want to see you, or try stubbornly to do without you.

O loving God, break down our defenses, soothe our hearts, strengthen and nourish us so that we may grow closer to you. Help us to trust you, and give us the courage to rest in you.

Through Jesus Christ we pray, Amen.

Assurance of Pardon

Hear these comforting words: If we repent and believe in God’s redeeming mercy, our sins are forgiven. Trust in God’s promises and begin anew your life with God and all people. It is through Jesus Christ that we are forgiven!

Thanks be to God!

*Passing of the Peace

As God has given us peace through Christ, let us share the peace of Christ with each other. The peace of Christ be with you.

And also with you.

Prayer for Illumination

Scripture Reading Psalm 46

Communion Meditation Resting In Neediness” Heidi Skidmore

Sacrament of Holy Communion

Invitation to the Lord’s Table

The Great Prayer of Thanksgiving

The Lord be with you.

And also with you.

Lift up you hearts.

We lift them up to the Lord.

Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.

It is right to give our thanks and praise.

Loving God, Source of all, we thank you and praise you with our lips and in our lives that, having created us, and all things through your Word, you welcome our prayer and praise. For the goodness of creation we praise you. For the law of holiness, inviting our obedience, and the call of prophets rebuking our disobedience, we praise you. With the faithful of every time and place, we join in this hymn of praise and thanksgiving:

We gratefully recall and remember the wonder of Jesus’ incarnation, his birth as one of us, his baptism for our sin, his compassion for our suffering, his intimacy with our frailty, his rebuke of our pride, his bearing of the cross with its death, and his rising from the tomb by the power of God. According to his commands and promise of presence, we affirm the mystery of faith.

Let us Pray

Loving God, Creative Power, blessing your name, we seek your Spirit. Come to us and bless these gifts of bread and wine that they might be for us the body and blood of Christ, a sign and seal of our forgiveness in Christ and our adoption as children of God. As we eat and drink together, make us one with Christ and one in Christ, a sign of his eternal reign in all the world. This sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving we offer to you, loving God, through Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God to ages of ages. Amen.

Sung Lord’s Prayer (attached)

Words of Institution

*Communion of the People

*Prayer After Communion

*Charge and Blessing

Participants in Worship:

Ms. Heidi Skidmore, Senior, Preacher

Rev. Dr. Charles Marks, Chaplain, Celebrant

Dr. Daniel Hoggatt, Musician

Mr. Josh Dunham, Senior, Liturgist

Mr. Scott Clark, Middler, Chaplain’s Assistant

Communion Servers:

Ms. Beverly Brewster, Senior/Intern

Ms. Alison Hendley, Senior/Intern

Ms. Rebecca McClintock, Senior/Intern

Mr. Nick Valadez, Senior/Intern

Mr. Derrick Weston, Senior/Intern

COMMUNITY OFFERING

The baskets in the narthex are for receiving the offering of the seminary community. At the end of the semester, what has been offered and collected will be donated to a local charity.

1 Comment:

Unknown said...

PEACE OF CHRIST
About 3 years ago I dropped into a black hole – four months of absolute terror. I wanted to end my life, but somehow [Holy Spirit], I reached out to a friend who took me to hospital. I had three visits [hospital] in four months – I actually thought I was in hell. I imagine I was going through some sort of metamorphosis [mental, physical & spiritual]. I had been seeing a therapist [1994] on a regular basis, up until this point in time. I actually thought I would be locked away – but the hospital staff was very supportive [I had no control over my process]. I was released from hospital 16th September 1994, but my fear, pain & shame had only subsided a little. I remember this particular morning waking up [home] & my process would start up again [fear, pain, & shame]. No one could help me, not even my therapist [I was terrified]. I asked Jesus Christ to have mercy on me & forgive me my sins. Slowly, all my fear has dissipated & I believe Jesus delivered me from my “psychological prison.” I am a practicing Catholic & the Holy Spirit is my friend & strength; every day since then has been a joy & blessing. I deserve to go to hell for the life I have led, but Jesus through His sacrifice on the cross, delivered me from my inequities. John 3: 8, John 15: 26, are verses I can relate to, organically. He’s a real person who is with me all the time. I have so much joy & peace in my life, today, after a childhood spent in orphanages [England & Australia]. God LOVES me so much. Fear, pain, & shame, are no longer my constant companions. I just wanted to share my experience with you [Luke 8: 16 – 17].

Peace Be With You
Micky

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks